Established in 1954, the Parents’ Steering Committee is comprised of families of current Colgate students, representing all four class years. Members are selected annually; their term of office runs from the fall through spring semester.
The Parents' Steering Committee meets once each semester — over Family Weekend and on a designated spring weekend. At the fall and spring semester meetings, the committee meets with senior university administrators and faculty members.
Members of the Parents' Steering Committee are asked to:
- Make an annual leadership gift at one of the following levels:
- Patron Level — gifts of $50,000 or more
- Council Level — gifts of $25,000 to $49,999
- Fellow Level — gifts of $10,000 to $24,999
- Direct your gift to the part of Colgate you care about most -- the Unrestricted Parents’ Fund, the Kerschner Family Series Global Leaders at Colgate, an academic program or athletic team, or to one of the Parents’ Steering Committee funding priorities.
- Host regional events. Events are typically hosted at someone’s home, club or restaurant. The Parents’ Fund staff will work with you to determine an appropriate format such as a cocktail reception, barbeque, buffet dinner or sit-down dinner. Speakers from campus are available.
- Attend special gatherings on campus and regionally when possible.
- Attend at least one committee meeting per year to demonstrate support.
- Provide university administrators with valuable insight into the Colgate undergraduate experience.
- Assist in donor identification and cultivation when appropriate.
- Assist Colgate in providing internships and networking opportunities for Colgate students and recent graduates.