Declaration Process Skip Navigation

Declaration of Major/Minor

Quick Links

Major form
   -Addendum for topical majors
Minor form
Colgate catalogue

Members of the Class of 2019 are required to file a completed, signed Declaration of Major form with the registrar’s office by March 3, 2017.

Members of the Class of 2019 who fail to submit a Declaration of Major form by the deadline will be placed on a major declaration hold and will not be allowed to register for fall 2017 courses. Sophomores who submit declaration forms after the March 3 deadline but before the week of registration will forfeit their assigned registration time and be reassigned a registration time after all other declared sophomores register.

It is the student's responsibility to ensure the department chair/program director has adequate time to review and sign the form before the deadline (typically a full week).

Declaration Process

  1. Run a What-If audit in Degree Works to review the major requirements and see how your current and previous course work applies to those requirements. You may also view the requirements in the current Colgate Catalogue.

  2. Consult the many Colgate resources available to you as you choose a new academic adviser: 
    • Chair of the department or director of the program in which you intend to major
    • Your current academic adviser
    • Your administrative dean (If you are not sure who your administrative adviser is, you should contact the Office of the Dean of the College 315-228-7426 or 315-228-7368.)
    • Lynn Waldman, Director of Academic Program Support and Disability Services (315-228-7375)
    • The Office of the Registrar staff (315-228-7676)
    • Faculty directory 
  3. Meet with the faculty member whom you’ve selected as your new academic adviser in your intended major. Here are some issues you may want to discuss with your new academic adviser when completing the declaration form:
    • Are you considering a second major or minor?
    • Are you planning to complete requirements in a professional training or certification program?
    • Are you planning to participate in an off-campus study group?
    • What are the requirements for honors or other awards in your department/program?
  4. Review your What-If audit with your new adviser and complete the declaration form (see links above).

  5. Obtain appropriate signatures (new academic adviser and department chair/program director).

  6. Submit the form to the registrar’s office by the appropriate deadline.

Second Major or Minor

No more than two majors or one major and one minor may be recorded. (You must complete a separate declaration form for each.) Second majors or minors must be declared no later than the full-term course withdrawal deadline in the fall semester senior year. Please also note that students must declare a major before they can declare a minor. 

Occasionally two separate majors may have some overlap of course requirements. In this case, a course may be used to satisfy requirements in two majors when at least seven of the courses completed in fulfillment of each major are unique. No more than two courses used to satisfy requirements for a major may be used to fulfill minor requirements as well. If the primary major requires cognate courses (which must be taken but which are not actually considered part of the major), these cognate courses may be counted toward the second major or the minor.

Advanced Placement and Pre-Matriculation Credit

Students in the Class of 2018 wishing to claim any pre-matriculation (including AP and IB) credit must submit the required materials to the registrar’s office no later than April 1, 2016 or the credit will be forfeited. We encourage you to take care of this quickly. 

Please check your transcript to verify that you have received credit for any AP / IB exams or college courses that you took prior to matriculating at Colgate. You may view your Colgate transcript online through Banner Self-Service (in the portal click on the registrar’s tab in the Banner Self-Service portlet and choose “Get unofficial transcripts”) or come to the registrar’s office (with your Colgate ID) to request an unofficial transcript. If your AP/IB/pre-matriculation credit does not already appear on your Colgate transcript, please follow the instructions below. Contact the registrar’s office with any questions.

To receive credit for AP exams, the registrar’s office must receive an official score report from the College Board. Contact the College Board for AP score reports by calling 888-CALL-4-AP and reference the Colgate code, 2086.  

To receive credit for IB exams, the registrar’s office must receive an official transcript from International Baccalaureate. To find information on how to request official transcripts, please visit their website (

To receive credit for college coursework taken prior to your matriculation at Colgate, you must complete the Application for Transfer of Pre-matriculation Credit (available in the registrar’s office or online) and have an official transcript sent directly from the other institution you attended.

If you have questions about eligible AP exams/scores, please refer to the Advanced Placement Credit Summary. If you have further questions about AP credit or questions about IB or pre-matriculation credit, please refer to the Transfer of Course Credit page, the Colgate University Catalogue, or contact the registrar’s office.