MA, Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University; PhD, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, The University of Iowa
Yonsei University, College of Education, 2010-2011.
Yonsei University, Graduate School of International Education, 2010-2011.
Seoul National University of Education, Graduate School of Education, 2011.
Racial and ethnic identity development; social and cultural foundations of education; social justice education; anti-racist curriculum and pedagogy; Korean globalization; race and education; high needs schools; qualitative research methods
Ethnic/racial identity formation and development, Social justice education, Cross cultural competency and development, Immigrant educational experiences, Ethnographic/qualitative research methods, South Korea's higher education institutions internationalization policies, Multicultural education in South Korea, Anti-racist policy, theory, and pedagogy.
- The Dance of Identities: Korean adult adoptees reflect upon their identity journeys. Honolulu: The University of Hawai'i Press, 2010.
- Palmer, J.D.; Roberts, A.C.; Cho, Y.H.; and Ching, G. (Eds.). Internationalization of East Asian Higher Education: Globalization's Impact. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2011.
- Palmer, J. D., & Cho, Y. H. Does internationalization really mean Americanization? A closer look at major South Korean universities’ internationalization policies. In J. D. Palmer et al. (Eds.), Internationalization of East Asian Higher Education: Globalization's Impact. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
Roberts, A., & Palmer, J. D. Ideologies of the globalization and internationalization of higher education. In J. D. Palmer et al. (Eds.), Internationalization of East Asian Higher Education: Globalization's Impact. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
Refereed select journal articles:
- Cho, Y. H., & Palmer, J. D. (2012). Stakeholders’ views upon South Korea’s higher education internationalization policy. Higher Education: The International Journal of Higher Education Research.
- Palmer, J. D., & Cho, Y. H. (2012). South Korean higher education internationalization policies: Perceptions and experiences. Asia Pacific Education Review.
- Palmer, J. D. (2007). Who is the authentic Korean American? Korean-born Korean American high school students' negotiations of ascribed and achieved identities. Journal of Language, Identity, and Education, 6(4), 277-298.
- Palmer, J. D. (2006). Negotiating the indistinct: Reflections of a Korean adopted American working with Korean born, Korean Americans. Qualitative Research 6(4), 473-495.
- Palmer, J. D., & Jang, E. (2005). Korean born, Korean American high school students' entry into understanding race and racism through social interactions and conversations. Race Ethnicity and Education, 8(3), 297-317.
Refereed chapters in edited book:
- Artiles, A. J., Trent, S. C., & Palmer, J. D. (2004). Culturally diverse students in special education: Legacies and prospects. In J. A. Banks & C. A. McGee Banks (Eds.), Handbook of research on multicultural education (pp. 716-735). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Palmer, J. D. (2001). Korean adopted young women: Gender bias, racial issues, and educational implications. In C. C. Park, A. Lin Goodwin, & S. J. Lee (Eds.), Research on the education of Asian Pacific Americans (pp. 177-204). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing Inc.
- Palmer, J. D., & Cho, Y.H. (2012). Review of the book The intimate university: Korean American students and the problems of segregation by Nancy Abelmann (Duke University Press, 2009). Educational Review.
- Palmer, J. D., & Hines, M. R. (2003). Review of the book Ethnicity, race, and nationality in education: A global perspective by Editors N. Ken Shimahara, Ivan Z. Holowinsky, and Saundra Tomlinson-Clarke. Teachers College Record, 105(1).
- Pang, V. O., & Palmer, J.D. (2012) "Model minorities and the model minorities myth", in James A. Banks (editor) Encyclopedia of diversity in education. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- (2011, February). 유럽의 대학생 이동과 한 * 중 * 일 대학생 교류 현황 (European student mobility: What can Korea, Japan, and China garner from the European model? In Byung Shik Rhee (Ed.).한중일 대학생 교류프로그램 시범사업 추진 및 협의전략 연구(Korean, China, Japan's college student exchange program pilot project: Propulsion and consultation strategic studies) (pp. 177-241). Seoul, South Korea: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- (2010, October). Teaching anti-racism/anti-oppression in 21st Century multiracial society. In 고양 2010 문화나눔 한마당 (Goyang 2010 Culture Sharing Festival). Goyang City, South Korea: (재)문화나눔재단 (Cultural Sharing Foundation).
- (2004, August 5). 좋은 교사를 능가하는 대책은 없다 (No Child Left Behind: The problem with accountability and high stakes testing). 교육정책포럼: 한국교육개발원 (The Forum on Educational Policy: Korean Educational Development Institute), 84, 3-10.
- (2004, August 7). "우리 해외 입양인은 강합니다" (We Overseas Korean Adoptees are Strong). 중앙일보 오피니언 (Joongang Newspaper--Opinion Page), 12314(43), p. 22.
Dissertation In the Midst of Two Cultures: 1.5 Generation Korean American High School Students' Acculturation and Ethnic Identity Development
AERA, SIG-Research on the Education of Asian Pacific American, Chair/President, 2004-2006; Program Chair, 2003-2004; Secretary, 2002- 2003.
The Journal of Educational Foundations, Editorial Board member, 2005-present.
The Holmes Partnership, Membership Committee associate, 2002-2005.
American Educational Research Association, member, 1997-present.
The Holmes Partnership, Scholar, 1999-2002, Alumni, 2002-present.
Association for Asian American Studies, member, 1999-present.
Also Known As, an adult Korean and international adoptee group, member, 1999-present.
American Educational Research Association Spencer Foundation Pre-Dissertation Fellowship, 1999-2000; AERA, SIG, Research on the Education of Asian Pacific American, program chair and secretary; The Holmes Partnership, scholar