My research interests are in development economics applied to intra-household decision making, behavioral economics, and applied econometrics. Learn more about my research here.
BS, MS, Universidad de las Americas, Puebla 2003, 2006; PhD, The Ohio State University, 2011
Development economics, intra-household economics, and behavioral economics
Intra-household decision-making, development economics, behavioral economics, econometrics
- Coughlin, Conor and Carolina Castilla. 2014 "The Effect of Private High School Education on the College Trajectory" accepted for publication at Economics Letters.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2014. "Field Experiments in a Course on Behavioral Economics: Nudging Students Around Campus." Journal of Economic Education (forthcoming Summer 2014)
- Castilla, Carolina and Thomas Walker. 2013 “Is Ignorance Bliss? Gender Differences in the Effect of Asymmetric Information on Intra-Household Allocation.” American Economic Review, 103 (3): 263-268.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Timothy Haab). 2013. “Limited Attention to Search Costs in the Gasoline Retail Market: Evidence from a Choice Experiment on Consumer Willingness to Search.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 95 (1): 181-199.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2012. “Subjective Well-being and Reference Dependence: Insights from Mexico.” Journal of Economic Inequality, 10 (2). Previously Circulated as: “Subjective Poverty and Reference Dependence: Income over Time, Aspirations and Reference Groups.” UNU-WIDER Working Paper 2010/76.
- Rojas, Mariano and Castilla, Carolina. 2010. "Crisis Bancarias y comportamiento Estralegico: Un enfoque a nivel banco." Administracion de Riesgos.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2014. "Trust, Reciprocity and Trustworthiness between Spouses: Evidence from a Field Experiment in India."
- Castilla, Carolina. 2014. "What's yours is Mine, and What's Mine is Mine: Bargaining Power and Income Concealing between Spouses in India."
- Castilla, Carolina. 2013. (with Thomas Walker) “Gender Roles and Asymmetric Information: Non-cooperative behavior on Intra-Household Allocation” (under review)
- Castilla, Carolina (with Timothy Haab). 2010. “Asymmetric Search and Loss Aversion: Choice Experiment on Consumer Willingness to Search in the Gasoline Retail Market.” (under review)
- Castilla, Carolina. 2011 “Ties that Bind: The Kin System as a Mechanism of Income-Hiding between Spouses in Rural Ghana.” UNU-WIDER Working Paper 2013/007.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2010 “Intra-Household Decision-Making under Incomplete Information: Modeling Income Hiding between Spouses.” (under review)
- Castilla, Carolina (with Ahmad Emad, student). 2013. The Effect of MGNREGA on Consumption Smoothing of Rural Households in India
Work in Progress:
- Castilla, Carolina. 2008. “Heteroskedasticity in Fixed-Effects One-way Error Component Models: Evaluating the Performance of Standard Tests ”
- Endogenous Household formation in response to Systemic Shocks (with Benjamin Anderson)
- Team Work and Cooperative Behavior (with Takao Kato)
- Field Experiment on the Effect of Information and Altruism on Voluntary Blood Donation in India
- Girl Empowerment Effect on Intra-Household Allocation
- Effect of Gender Electoral Quotas on Female Empowerment within the Household in India
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, AEDE Department, The Ohio State University 2012
- DeVries Memorial Fund Award 2010
- Edward J. Ray Travel Award 2010
- Honorable Mention to a Research Manuscript by a Second-Year PhD Student, 2008.
- Major Grant, Colgate University (PI) June, 2013 – August 2014
- Summer Research Apprenticeship Funding, Colgate University (PI) June, 2012 – August, 2012
- Major Grant, Colgate University (PI) June, 2012 – June, 2013
- Alumni Grant for Graduate Research and Scholarship. (PI) July, 2010 – July, 2011