BA, Oberlin College, 1978
PhD, MIT, 1984
Environmental Economics; Seminar in Resource and Environmental Economics; Managing Complexity: America’s Public Lands; Seminar in Environmental Studies; Econometrics; Statistics; Mathematical Economics; Introductory Economics (combined micro and macro); Environmental Activism, Science, and the Arts; Interdisciplinary Investigations in Environmental Issues; Social Science Perspectives on Environmental Issues; Economics of Taxation; Labor Economics; Intermediate Microeconomics; The Making of Economic Policy
Environmental economics, econometrics, statistics, introductory economics, mathematical economics, public economics
Economic analysis of national parks; valuation of the environment; environment and the arts
- “Environmental Art and Environmental Beliefs: The Case of Plastic Bag Pollution in Oceans,” Advances in Environmental Studies 2(1):42-53. (March 2018)
- (with Julia Blasch) “Environmental Art, Prior Knowledge about Climate Change, and Carbon Offsets,” Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 6(4): 691-705. (December 2016). DOI 10.1007/s13412-015-0243-y.
- (with Blake Willmarth) "Valuation of Cultural and Natural Resources in North Cascades National Park: Results from a Tournament; Style Contingent Choice Survey" SAGE Open 2014:4 (April-June 2014): 1-9. DOI 10.1177/2158244014528916.
- “Using Contingent Choice Surveys to Inform National Park Management” Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences Volume 3, Issue 2 (2013), Page 120-138. DOI 10.1007/s13412-013-0110-7
- (with W. Reed Walker) "Explaining the Determinants of Operating Budgets at U.S. National Parks," Public Finance Review 34(5) (September 2006) 551-573
- (with J. Baldani and J. Bradfield ), Mathematical Economics, 3rd edition, Linus Publications, (2011)
- (with Alita Giuda and Laura Noddin), "Estimating Nonuse Values Using Conjoint Analysis," Economics Bulletin 17(7) (2005) 1-15
- "Fringe Benefits," entry in Encyclopedia of Taxation and Tax Policy, 2nd edition, Joseph Cordes, Robert D. Ebel, and Jane G. Gravelle, editors Washington: Urban Institute Press, (2005)
- "The Optimal Provision of Services in National Parks," Topics in Economic Analysis & Policy, 2(1) Article 9 (2002) http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/topics/vol2/iss1/art9
- "Market Failures and the Rationale for National Parks," Journal of Economic Education 33 (2002) 347-356
- "Managing Multiple Activities in a National Park," Land Economics 76 (August 2000) 474-485
- Associate editor, Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences
- Reviewer for many journals and textbook publishers and for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and National Science Foundation
- Honors examiner, Oberlin College, Economics Department.
- Junior economist, Council of Economic Advisers, Washington, DC
- Member, Economics Advanced Placement Committee