Career Services will compile all paperwork, remove student names and ID numbers, and distribute to members of the selection committee.
The Summer Funding Selection Committee is comprised of faculty, staff, and alumni. The committee members will review applications against a rubric (see below). Every application will be reviewed by three separate readers. Scores will be aggregated and candidates ranked accordingly. Funding will be disbursed to the highest ranked eligible candidates, and is not available to all applicants.
The Committee will evaluate applications on the following criteria:
- Intentionality: Evidence of thought around what the applicant is searching for and how he/she has determined the criteria for his/her summer experience.
- Clarity of learning objectives: Was applicant able to clearly define and articulate potential takeaways from his/her summer experience?
- Relevance of experience: If the applicant is searching for an experience that is exploratory in nature, to what extent will the proposed experiences allow him/her to explore a potential dynamics and areas of interest? Alternatively, if the applicant is searching for an experience that is purposeful with regard to his/her career goals, to what extent do the proposed experiences demonstrate a clear relevance to the student's future goals?
- Compelling articulation of why: The applicant provided compelling rationale as to why these types of experiences would be critical to his/her career development as compared with similar experiences that are more convenient or that hold fewer associated expenses (e.g. one that is closer to home, a paid position, etc.).
- Search preparedness: We are committed to funding individuals in any stage of the internship search process who demonstrate an understanding of the search mechanics (or an eagerness to learn) and a commitment to successfully landing a summer experience. An applicant qualifies as “prepared” if (a) he/she has made progress in identifying and securing a summer experience – he/she has compiled application materials, has identified and regularly utilizes search resources, and has already submitted applications, or, (b) he/she demonstrates a clear understanding of how to go about the internship search process and exhibits a diligent, proactive, and resilient approach to searching for a position.
- Familiarization, travel savvy, and maturity: The applicant demonstrates evidence of research and understanding of industry-based, organizational, geographic, and/or cultural dynamics, as well as the maturity to successfully navigate a new environment.
- Overall strength of application: The application is well-written, does not contain any typos or careless errors, and suggests that the candidate devoted adequate time to submit a quality application.
Students should expect to hear determinations on funding from Career Services by Friday, March 25, 2016.
Confirming Internship Details
Students may apply for summer funding before
they receive or accept an offer for a summer experience. The application considers a candidate's overall goals, research, and intention behind pursuing a summer experience, not a specific internship.
Career Services will make conditional funding offers by Friday, March 25, 2016.
All offers are conditional upon the student securing a summer experience that accomplishes the goals laid out in the student's original application.
Once an internship offer is finalized, funding recipients must complete the following items within one week of receiving the offer:
- Internship Confirmation Form to confirm the details of summer plans (link coming in January)
- Budget Proposal Form (.xls) to outline budgetary needs. Attach to your Internship Confirmation Form.
- Proof of internship offer - can be in e-mail form. Please save as a PDF file before uploading. Attach to your Internship Confirmation Form.
- Proof of acceptance of internship offer - can be in e-mail form. Please save as a PDF file before uploading. Attach to your Internship Confirmation Form.
Career Services will review your materials and will send finalized offers within one week of submission. For clarification purposes, you may be asked to consult with Shauna Hirshfield, Internship Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to approval.
Once a recipient is granted a final offer, he/she is responsible for completing all paperwork and requirements. Funding will be issued only once the student has met all requirements.
Students will automatically forfeit funding if they secure an internship by rescinding their acceptance of another offer.