Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy
The Colgate University Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy
provides employee and student requirements for safe operation of Colgate University owned, leased, or rented motor vehicles.
If an accident occurs with a Motor Vehicle, the following steps should be taken by the driver:
- If an accident occurs on-campus, do not leave the scene of the accident. Call Campus Safety at 315-228-7911.
- If an accident occurs off-campus, do not leave the scene of the accident. Call 911 or the local police department. You should request that a police report be completed to document the accident.
- Contact your supervisor immediately after calling 911 or the Department of Campus Safety.
- Avoid making statements regarding responsibility or fault.
- Provide the other party with the insurance information contained in the Motor Vehicle, as well as your name, address, and telephone number.
- Upon return to campus, notify the Colgate University Risk Manager at 315-228-7765.
- Accidents involving rented Motor Vehicles must also be reported to the rental agency.
- Accidents involving university owned vehicles must also be reported to the Department of Facilities.
In accordance with New York State (NYS) Vehicle and Traffic Law, any driver involved in an accident resulting in injuries and/or property damage in excess of $1,000 is required to file a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form (MV-104) to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within ten (10) days. A copy of this report should also be provided to the Colgate University Risk Manager.
Van Reservation & Use Policy
The university maintains a fleet of vehicles for use by the Colgate community, including students. These vehicles are to be used only for the enhancement of official programs offered through the university. As part of its safety program, the university has established procedures to be followed in association with the use of a fleet vehicle: Colgate University Van Policy & Fleet Agreement