Getting Help and Support as a Victim of Sexual Violence Skip Navigation

Help, Support and Reporting

Colgate University is committed to providing support and assistance to all members of our campus community who are impacted by sexual assault and relationship violence.
If you or someone you know has experienced any form of sexual violence such as sexual assault, nonconsensual touching, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, stalking or cyberstalking, or dating or domestic violence, or have had an encounter that made you uncomfortable, the following resources are available to provide you with information, support and assistance. For definitions of all these terms, please see our definitions glossary (pdf).

Confidential On-Campus Resources

Counseling and Psychological Services
The Counseling Center provides confidential support through an immediate crisis as well as over time. Call 315-228-7385 for an appointment or come to walk-in hours (1:30-4:30 p.m. M-F). After business hours, call Campus Safety at 315-228-7333 and ask to talk with the counselor on-call. You do not need to provide any additional information to Campus Safety. There is a counselor on-call at all times.
University Chaplains
University chaplains are available for confidential personal, crisis, or spiritual counseling. Students seeking information should stop by the Office of the Chaplains in the garden level of the Colgate Chapel or call 315-228-7682.
Student Health Services
Health Services provides medical examinations as well as confidential support during the recovery period following a sexual misconduct incident, whether it is recent or not. The main Student Health Center is located at 150 Broad Street (Route 12B), between Reid Athletic Center and Community Memorial Hospital. The staff can be reached at 315-228-7750 during business hours. For after-hours questions, please leave a voicemail message and the staff will call you back the next day. For emergencies, contact Campus Safety at 315-228-7911.

Hours: (appointment necessary)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:30 am - 12:00 pm and 12:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Wednesdays: 12:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm 

If you suspect that you might have been given a rape drug, testing is available through the Student Health Center during their office hours; however, this testing cannot be used as evidence for criminal prosecution. If you are considering reporting the assault to the police for criminal prosecution, a urine sample should be collected through a hospital emergency department.

Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, HIV, and pregnancy are available by appointment. Emergency contraception is available without a prescription at pharmacies in New York State for anyone 17 or older.

On-Campus Support Resources

All of the individuals listed in this section are trained to support students who have experienced any form of gender-based violence. Colgate respects your privacy.

Reports of sexual assault will be shared only with individuals on a need-to-know basis or as required by law.
Equity Grievance Panel (EGP) Members
Equity Grievance Panel members are a source of advice, support and referral to help you know your options and to assist you through whatever process you choose. Members of the EGP are trained in all aspects of the grievance process, and can provide sensitive intake and initial counseling of complaints, as well as act as advisers to individuals throughout the complaint process. The list of EGP members and their contact information is available here.
Title IX Coordinator
Professor Marilyn Rugg, is available to receive complaints of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, and to discuss the options available to you. The role of the Title IX Coordinator is to ensure prompt and equitable responses to reports of sexual misconduct, to prevent the recurrence of the misconduct, and to address its effects in accordance with university policy and procedures. Her office is located in 102 Lathrop Hall, and she can be reached at 315-228-7288.
Dean of the College Administrative Deans
Dean of the College staff (administrative advisers) can put you in touch with the appropriate medical and counseling personnel. The dean can also help with matters such as adjusting living arrangements, managing academic obligations, and the disciplinary process. You can locate your administrative adviser by calling 315-228-7368 or stopping by 116 McGregory Hall. An on-call dean can be reached after business hours by calling Campus Safety (315-228-7911).
Campus Safety, 315-228-7911
Campus Safety officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are trained in assisting victims of sexual violence. Campus Safety also provides free transportation to Oneida or Syracuse for access to a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE).  A friend, staff member or equity grievance panel member can accompany you.  Campus Safety can also put you in touch with the on-call dean or counselor, and can assist you with making a report to the Hamilton Police Department. Campus Safety is located at 88 Hamilton Street in the gray building next to Merrill House.

Your Reporting Options

You have several options for reporting sexual harassment and assault, including both off-campus and on-campus procedures.
Hamilton Police, Dial 911
In cases of sexual assault, rape and relationship violence, Colgate strongly encourages you to report the incident to the local police by dialing 911. Campus Safety will assist any student in reporting an incident to the police if the student so requests. The criminal process is separate from the University’s own grievance process for addressing sexual harassment and sexual misconduct in the campus community.
Campus Safety, Dial 315-228-7911
Campus Safety officers are trained in assisting victims of sexual violence. Val Brogan, Campus Safety Investigator, worked for over 15 years in the Onondaga Police Department’s Special Victims Unit, and is a member of the Equity Grievance Panel. She is an important source of advice on what your reporting options are, and can provide sensitive intake of complaints.
Online Report
If you are not yet sure what you want to do, whether you want to file a criminal complaint with the Hamilton Police, make a report to Campus Safety, or file a complaint through the university’s equity grievance process, you can still inform university officials that the incident occurred by Report an incident or concern.

You may submit this report anonymously if you do not wish to provide a name or other identifying information. Once the form is completed, click the ‘Send Form’ button at the bottom of the page. The contents of this form are e-mailed directly to the Office of the Dean of the College and the sender appears as "Dean of the College Web Page." You will receive an automated response indicating that the report was received.

Please note that although Colgate endeavors to investigate all reports, including anonymous reports, the nature of anonymous reports makes investigation, determination, and remediation more difficult and, at times, impossible. As a result, you are encouraged to provide your name and contact information. If you provide your name and contact information, a Colgate administrator may contact you to follow up on your report.
Title IX Coordinator
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. Sexual harassment, including sexual assault and relationship violence, is a form of sex discrimination. Professor Marilyn Rugg is Colgate University’s Title IX Coordinator, and her role is to ensure prompt and equitable responses to reports of sexual misconduct, to prevent the recurrence of the misconduct, and to address the effects in accordance with university policy and procedures.

She will respond sensitively to your concerns, discuss the options available to you, and help you to file a complaint of sexual harassment or sexual misconduct if you decide that you wish to do so. Her office is located in 102 Lathrop Hall, and she can be reached at 315-228-7288 or via e-mail at
Equity Grievance Panel (EGP) Members
EGP members have been trained on all aspects of the university’s grievance process and can provide sensitive intake and initial counseling of complaints, as well as act as advisers to individuals throughout the complaint process. They can serve as a source of advice, support, and referral to help you know your options and to assist you through whatever process you choose.

Off-Campus Resources

Hamilton Police Department
If you do not feel safe, have a serious injury or wish to report a sexual assault or rape to the police, call 911. Campus Safety can escort you to the Hamilton Police Department and support you in reporting the assault. The Hamilton Police Department is located at 3 Broad Street in the village of Hamilton.
Victims of Violence 24-hour hotline
Victims of Violence is a 24-hour Hotline at 315-366-5000 for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and other violent crimes, as well as for concerned friends and family.

Located at 218 Liberty Street in Oneida, New York, Liberty Resources’ Victims of Violence program provides free and confidential services to those affected by sexual assault, domestic violence or other violent crimes in Madison County and surrounding communities. Services are available to all victims and their families, regardless of when the abuse or crime occurred or whether they choose to report it to the police.
Vera House
Vera House is a 24-hour Crisis and Support Hotline for sexual assault. Contact them at 315-422-7273.

It is the mission of Vera House to end all domestic and sexual violence, to assist families in crisis, to support those affected by domestic and sexual violence to live safe, self-sufficient lives, to empower women and children, and to promote a culture of equality and respect in relationships.