What Counts as Hazing?
It may seem difficult to determine whether or not a certain activity is hazing, because there may seem to be a gray area in many situations. However, it's actually not very difficult to decide if an activity is hazing if you use common sense and ask yourself the following questions:
If the answer to ANY of these questions is "yes," the activity is most likely hazing.
- Is alcohol involved?
- Does the activity risk emotional or physical abuse?
- Is there risk of injury or a question of safety?
- Would you feel uncomfortable describing the activity to your parents, to a professor or university staff member?
- Does this activity negate the stated ideals and values of the organization?
- Will this activity decrease the new members' respect for the organization and the members of the chapter?
- Is it an activity that only new members are required to do?
- Does the activity lack value in and of itself?
Adapted from Death By Hazing Sigma Alpha Epsilon 1988