Crime Victim Information - Colgate University Skip Navigation

Crime Victim Information

What to Do After the Preliminary Investigation

  • Take photographs of the scene.
  • Contact your homeowner's insurance provider.
  • The Campus Safety Department reports to the Office of the Dean of the College; university administrators will be notified of the occurrence by Campus Safety Department staff promptly.
  • Re-evaluate your security practices—do you lock your doors and windows? Do others have access to your residence? Do you record serial numbers of your valuables and register them with the Campus Safety Department?
  • You may have feelings of anxiety or insecurity after the burglary has occurred. This is normal. If you are experiencing any post traumatic distress, contact Counseling and Psychological Services at 315-228-7385.
  • Request the name of the investigator with each department and a contact number or e-mail address.

If You Are a Victim of Identity Theft

  • Close all accounts and indicate why.
  • Report the crime to the Campus Safety Department or local law enforcement agency and the Federal Trade Commission.
  • Place a fraud alert on your credit reports. Law enforcement will assist you with contacting one of the three credit bureaus: Equifax (800-255-6285), Experian (888-397-3742), or TransUnion (800-680-7289).
  • Contact your bank, ask that new passwords be assigned to your accounts.
  • Avoid using common numbers for your passwords — the last four digits of your Social Security number, or series of consecutive numbers.
  • To replace a Social Security number call the SS Administration Office.
  • Contact the post office if you suspect that an identity thief submitted a change of address form with the post office in order to get your mail.

If You Are a Victim of Sexual Assault

  • Find a safe place away from the person who violated you.
  • Get medical attention immediately — even if you are not physically injured — consider STDs and pregnancy. The Student Health Center or Community Memorial Hospital can assist you.
  • Preserve evidence — do not bathe, shower, douche, change clothes, change bedding, brush teeth, chew gum, or eat or drink anything.
  • Request the hospital to conduct a rape kit exam.
  • If you suspect that you may have been drugged, ask that a urine sample be collected.
  • To report the assault, contact the Campus Safety Department (315-228-7333) or Hamilton Police Department (315-824-3311 or 911).
  • Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist rape victims. Contact the counseling center at 315-228-7385 or contact campus safety and request to speak with the counselor on call. You may also contact Victims of Violence Services of Madison County at 315-366-5000.
MORE ABOUT VICTIM SUPPORTRemember that the assault was not your fault.

If you are a victim of any crime on or off campus, contact the Colgate University Campus Safety Department at 315-228-7333 or Hamilton Police Department at 315-824-3311 or dial 911.