- “Free Bank Failures: Risky Bonds vs. Undiversified Portfolios”, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 42 (2010), pp. 1565-1587.
- “Bank-Specific Default Risk In The Pricing Of Bank Note Discounts” Journal of Economic History Vol. 71 (2011), pp. 950-975.
- “Estimating Antebellum Passenger Costs: A Hub-and-Spoke Approach” Historical Methods Vol. 45 (2012), pp. 93-101.
- “Land, Location, and Labor: Accounting for Racial Differences in Postbellum Cotton Production” (with Neil Canaday) Explorations in Economic History Vol. 49 (2012), pp. 291-302.
- “Banks, Free Banks, and Economic Growth” (with Peter Rousseau) Economic Inquiry Vol. 51 (2013), pp. 1603–1621.
- “State Banks and the National Banking Acts: Measuring the Response to Increased Financial Regulation, 1860–1870” Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 45 (2013), pp. 379–399.
- "National Banking's Role in U.S. Industrialization, 1850-1900" Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2014), pp. 109-140.
- "Sales and Firm Entry: The Case of Wal-Mart" (with PJ Glandon) Southern Economic Journal Vol. 81 (2014), pp. 168-192
- "American Banking and the Transportation Revolution Before the Civil War” (with Jeremy Atack and Peter Rousseau) Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2015), pp. 943 - 986
- "Clearinghouses as Credit Regulators Before the Fed” Journal of Financial Stability Vol. 17 (2015), pp. 10–21.
- "Did Railroads Make Antebellum U.S. Banks More Sound? Linking Rail Locations With Bank Balance Sheets and Survival Rates" (With Jeremy Atack and Peter Rousseau) in Enterprising America: Business, Banks, and Credit Markets in Historical Perspective, Collins, William J., and Robert A. Margo eds., 149-178. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2015.
- "Introduction au régime de banque libre aux États-Unis (An Introduction to Free Banking in the United States)" Revue d'économie financière Vol. 117 (2015), pp. 245-248.
- "The Evolution of Bank Supervision: Evidence from U.S. States" (With Kris Mitchener) Journal of Economic History Vol. 75 (2015), pp 819-859.
- "The Competition and Coexistance of Mutual and Commercial Banks in New England, 1870-1914" (With Brady Plastaras) Cliometrica.Vol. 10 (2016), 151-179.
- “Deposit Insurance: Theories and Facts” (With Charles Calomiris) Forthcoming Annual Review of Financial Economics.
Forthcoming Handbook Chapters
- "Banking from 1790 to the Founding of the Federal Reserve" (With Peter Rousseau) in the Oxford Dictionary of American Economic History
- "The Cliometric Study of Financial Panics and Crashes" in the Handbook of Cliometrics
-Review of Kenneth D. Garbade’s “Birth of a Market: The U.S. Treasury Securities Market from the Great War to the Great Depression” Economic History Review Vol. 66 (2013), pp. 1219–1220
-Review of Nicholas Crafts and Peter Fearon's "The Great Depression of the 1930s: Lessons for Today" Journal of Economic Literature Vol. 52 (2014), pp. 541-542
-Review of Michael J Hightower’s "Banking in Oklahoma Before Statehood" Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2014), pp. 1239-1241.
-Review of Paul Kahn’s The Bank War: Andrew Jackson, Nicholas Biddle, and the Fight for American Finance. Forthcoming Journal of Economic History.
-Review of Randall E. Parker and Robert Whaples’ Routledge Handbook of Major Events in Economic History. Forthcoming Journal of Economic Literature.
Archival and Data Collection Projects:
-“Stealing Deposits: Deposit Insurance, Risk-Taking and the Removal of Market Discipline in Early 20th Century Banks” (With Charles Calomiris)
-“How was the Quantitative Easing Program of the 1930s Unwound? (With Gabriel Mathy)
-“The (Dis)Advantages of Clearinghouses Before the Fed”
-“Understanding the Cyclical Nature of Financial Intermediation Costs” (With Ayse Sapci)
-“Did Inequality in Farm Sizes Lead to Suppression of Banking and Credit in the Late Nineteenth Century?” (With Price Fishback)
-“Liquidity Risk, Bank Networks, and the Value of Joining the Fed” (With Charles Calomiris, Haelim Park, and Gary Richardson)
-“The Dawn of an ‘Age of Deposits’ in the United States” (With Peter Rousseau)
-“Quantifying Wildcat Banking” (With Jeremy Atack)
-“Banker Preferences, Interbank Connections, and the Enduring Structure of the Federal Reserve System” (With David Wheelock)
-U.S. Passenger Transportation Costs - 1837, 1849, 1859, 1867
-National Bank Balance Sheets - Comptroller of the Currency - 1865-1924
-State Bank Balance Sheets - Various State Banking Department Records- 1863-1924
-Locations of National Banks, State Banks, and Trust Companies - Bankers Directories - 1860-1910