Journal Publications (in English)
- “Cluster-Based Industrialization in China: Financing and Performance,” with Xiaobo Zhang. Forthcoming with Journal of International Economics.
- “Did Foreign Direct Investment Put an Upward Pressure on Wages in China?” with Galina Hale. Forthcoming with the IMF Economic Review.
- “Control Modes and Outcomes of Transformed SOEs in China: An Agency-Theory-based Approach,” with Jun Xia and Shaomin Li. Forthcoming with Management and Organization Review.
- “Does the Rights Hypothesis Apply to China?” Forthcoming in Journal of Law and Economics, 2010, November, 53(4).
- “Tournaments and Managerial Incentives in China’s Listed Firms: New Evidence” with Takao Kato. Forthcoming in China Economic Review.
- “Are there Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in China?” with Galina Hale. Forthcoming in Pacific Economic Review.
- “Foreign Direct Investment and Incentives to Innovate and Imitate” with Irene Brambilla and Galina Hale. Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2009, December, 111(4), pp. 835-861.
- “The Transformation of Collectively Owned Enterprises and its Outcomes in China, 2001-2005” with Jun Xia and Shaomin Li. World Development, 2009, October, 37(10), pp. 1651-1662.
- “CEO Turnover, Firm Performance, and Enterprise Reform in China: Evidence from Micro Data,” with Takao Kato. Journal of Comparative Economics, 2006, 34, pp. 796-817.
- “Executive Turnover and Firm Performance in China,” with Takao Kato. AER Papers and Proceedings, 2006, 96(2), 363-367.
- “Executive Compensation, Firm Performance, and Corporate Governance in China: Evidence from Firms Listed in the Shanghai and Shenzhen Stock Exchanges,” with Takao Kato. Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2006, 54(4), pp. 945-983.
- “Salaries, Plea Rates, and the Career Objectives of Federal Prosecutors,” with Richard Boylan. Journal of Law and Economics, 2005, 48(2): pp. 627-651.
- “A Classroom Exercise: Voting by Ballots and Feet,” with Roger Hewett, Charles A. Holt, Georgia Kosmopoulou, Christine Kymn, Shabnam Mousavi, and Sudipta Sarangi. Southern Economic Journal, 2005, 72(1), pp. 253-263.
- “Measuring Public Corruption in the American States: A Survey of State House Reporters,” with Richard Boylan. State Policy and Politics Quarterly, 2003, 3(4), pp.420-438.
- “Firm Size and Monitoring,” with Richard Boylan. Economics Bulletin, 2003, 4(34), pp.1-5.
Journal Publications (in Chinese)
- “How do Private Entrepreneurs’ Social Relational Capital Affect R&D Investment,” with Shuangying Chen and Runtian Jing. Management World (Guanli Shijie, in Chinese), 2010, January, pp. 88-98.
- “Ownership Type and Chinese Private Firms’ Financing Costs” with Yinjun Liu and Runtian Jing. Management Review (Guanli Pinglun, in Chinese), 2009, 21(9), pp. 77-85.
Other Refereed Publications (in English)
- “Foreign Direct Investment in China: Winners and Losers” with Galina Hale. Book forthcoming with World Scientific.
- “What are the Sources of Financing for Chinese Firms,” with Galina Hale, Forthcoming in The Evolving Role of Asia in Global Finance, edited by Yin-Wong Cheung, Vakas Kakkar, and Guonan Ma, Emerald Group Publishing Limited. (An earlier version appears in the HKIMR Working Paper Series.)
- “Where to Find Positive Productivity Spillovers from FDI in China: Disaggregated Analysis,” with Galina Hale, Hirotaka, Miura, and Theodore Moran, HKIMR Working Paper Series.
- “Industrial Clusters and Firm Financing in China,” with Xiaobo Zhang (presented at the Association of Comparative Economics Society, January 2009), International Food Policy Research Institute Discussion Papers (IFPRI DP).
- “Negative Effects of Personal Bankruptcy on Home Owners: Lost Homes and Reduced Credit Access.” Conference Proceedings of the Federal Reserve System’s 2005 Research Conference “Promises and Pitfalls.” 2005.