Selection and Application
The Music and Youth Fellowship application is now open for submissions.
The 2017 application is now closed.
Follow the below steps to apply.
Interested students must have their resumes certified in this academic year to apply
- Complete the application before the deadline.
- Participate in an initial interview and selection process at Colgate.
- Take part in Music and Youth will also conduct interviews with fellowship candidates, including an evaluation of which clubhouse is the best fit for the candidate.
- Those who receive an offer to participate in the fellowship are given two weeks to accept or decline the offer.
- Attend required on-campus orientation sessions
- Specific clubhouse placements will not be made until April, but you will be informed as to whether your placement will be in the city of Boston or elsewhere in the Greater Boston Area. In April, you will go through an interview process with the staff at the identified music clubhouse/youth development organization to ensure the best fit between student/music clubhouse.
About the Music and Youth Initiative
Gary Eichhorn ’75 and Joan Eichhorn P’05 founded the Music and Youth Initiative
in 2004 with the mission of providing the benefits of a music education to underserved youth. Concerned that music programs in public schools had been dramatically curtailed, they wanted to provide a vibrant after-school music program for youth, ages 10-18, and to use music as a vehicle for developing self confidence and self esteem. Learn more about the nonprofit at Colgate's news blog
Music and Youth currently sponsors a total of 16 clubhouses in Massachusetts, which are operated by the following youth development organizations: