Actionable Steps You Can Take
Position yourself for success after college by taking these steps during your first year:
- Attend Career Services programming for first-years. Check out our upcoming events.
- Learn to write and optimize your resume. We have a number of online workshops and guides, or you can contact us to consult a peer adviser.
- Discuss your summer plans and develop a career action plan with a career adviser. Contact us to make an appointment.
- Participate in at least two job shadowing opportunities. Contact us to learn how.
- Learn and get approved to use naviGATE, our go-to resource for job and internship postings.
- Get your resume approved and uploaded to naviGATE. Search for summer opportunities.
- Write a cover letter for an internship. Submit a draft of the letter and the internship description to us for review by an adviser.
- Explore Colgate's summer funding opportunities. Apply for a Career Services summer internship grant.
And don't forget, sometimes the best way to position yourself for success is to simply be active. Get involved in clubs and organizations, consider pursuing academic research with a faculty member, or get involved in volunteer work and community service. You'll learn a ton while building a solid resume.