Your child is working toward a degree that opens innumerable opportunities after graduation. We're here to here to help them plan for the future.
We're here to advise, guide, and assist your student as he or she prepares for the future. We'll be offering our services to your student as early as the first day of the first year. Here's what we do:
- Career advising: One-on-one discussions about everything from internships to careers.
- Walk-in hours: We have hours laid aside throughout every week just to chat with interested students of any class year.
- Peer advising: Your student can consult trained and knowledgeable classmates for critiques of resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
- Self-assessment: We offer the Strong Interest Inventory self-assessment tool to help students identify a fulfilling career path.
- Mock interviews: We can role-play and record an interview, and then review it with your student to hone their interviewing skills.
- Graduate/Professional school advising: We can help navigate the search and application process. More about graduate/professional school.
- Scholarship and fellowship advising: Colgate's national fellowships and scholarships office can provide guidance for those interested in the Fulbright, Watson, and more. More about scholarships and fellowships.
- naviGATE online job and internship postings: Features job and internship opportunities specifically targeting Coglate students.
- iCAN Alumni Career Advisory Network: Putting students in touch with our incredibly active alumni population. More about iCAN.
- On- and off-campus recruiting: We bring potential employers to campus for information sessions and interviews, and we take students to off-campus consortia and job fairs. More about recruiting.
- Endowed internships: We have funding available for a variety of summer internship and fellowship experiences. More about endowed internships.
You understandably also are interested in helping your child prepare for his or her life after school. Here are a couple pointers:
- Don't be a helicopter parent. You mean well, but employers rarely view parental involvement in a job search in a positive light. You can offer guidance and support, but your student is ready to lead this job search.
- Get your organization involved at Colgate. It's a tough economy, but Colgate parents know better than anyone our students' potential. Do your business and our students a favor and contact us about hiring your students' peers.
Rest assured -- our students graduate prepared for anything. Explore the many successes of our graduates at Success after Colgate.