We believe strongly in recognizing the outstanding work done by our students. Each year, we recognize students doing exceptional work in the history discipline with several different awards.
Honors and High Honors
Each year, a small number of senior majors complete advanced individual research projects in competition for honors and high honors.
Candidates for honors in history must:
- Have a minimum GPA within the history major of 3.5 and an minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Complete an honors thesis which has been judged by the major adviser and one other department faculty member to be of A or A– quality. The thesis is normally completed in two terms. It may be started in any 400-level history seminar, any history 300- or 400-level independent study, or the London History Study Group. Papers may also be developed from the term paper in any 300-level history course. A candidate is encouraged to enroll subsequently in HIST 490 to complete the thesis.
Candidates for high honors in history must:
- Have a minimum GPA within the history major of 3.75 and a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Complete an honors thesis which has been judged by the major adviser and by one other department faculty member to be of A quality.
- Defend the paper in an oral examination before the two faculty readers. The examination must also be judged to be of excellent quality.